Here are few notes which i have made personally or are inspired by some references.
1. Reduce the usage of air conditioning by making an organic roof garden. Water the plants every day, smell the fragrance of flowers, and watch small creatures flying around! That is so beautiful and plus good for earth.
2. Drive an eVehicle like eCar, eBikes. This will both save your pockets and reduce pollution from environment. Also for other vehicles drive your vehicle in Economy range, Stop the fuel engine when waiting for long at traffic signals. This will save fuel up to 20%. It will save your pocket and environment too..!
3. Recycle as much as you can. Take paper bags with you while you go out for shop, or use the same polythene as much as you can. Do not mix up green waste with other wastes at your home.
4. Close the doors of rooms that you don't use to keep heat in the most used rooms of the house, especially rooms near the thermostat. This can save energy and a little bit of money on your heating bill every month. Similarly is the case with room coolers.
5. Use Solar Heaters, specially where sunlight is available in plenty. This will help a lot to keep our earth green. Moreover its Lifetime Value saves some money when compared to lifetime value of Gas and Electric heaters.
7. Replace paper communications by email, SMS, Social Networking website like Facebook, phone etc as much as you can also Save paper by printing double-sided. Refill ink cartridges instead of buying new ones. Remove the hard drive from old computers then recycle it.
8. Spend some of the time you would usually be commuting growing fresh herbs / veggies / fruit in your garden...and compost!"
9. Use a hybrid electric source and a laptop with an earth friendly battery!
A Few more...
10. In your home or office, position your desk and seats to optimize for natural light. Not only will it save you from using electricity for lighting and heat, but many scientists believe that natural light offers many positive health benefits as well.
11. Reduce your standby power usage. Many electronics, including TVs, computers, office equipment, video game consoles and home theater systems continue to use electricity when they appear off in standby mode. Utilizing a surge protector with an on/off switch can help you control standby power usage from multiple devices.
12. Optimize your PCs power settings. By setting up a power profile, you'll teach your PC how to conserve its own electricity. I tell my computer to turn off the displays after 2 minutes of idle activity and to sleep after 5 minutes.
13. Recycle your old equipment. Computers and common office equipment oftentimes contains very hazardous chemicals, including mercury, lead, and PCBs and can significantly damage the earth's ecosystem. Be sure to recycle or dispose of your PCs, printers, monitors, batteries, and other equipment safely.
14. A home office can potentially use a lot of paper, so be mindful of your printing habits. Buy paper made with 100 percent post-consumer waste, print only when needed, and of course, print on both sides when possible.
15. Make sure you refill ink cartridges rather than buying new ones, or at the least, dispose of your printer cartridges at local stores that offer cartridge recycling services.
Happy Earth Day...!
Navneet Singh Chauhan.